top of page

Blog Posts

Premier side open with a 3-0 victory

written by Martin Burke

Thursday 17th of August saw the start of the new League campaign for our Premier Side who played Charleville FC at home in Round 1. The game played out a thrilling 3-0 win for the home side.

Mungret have had a good preseason which saw with our first preseason friendly played at home to Caherdavin on the 13th Jul. Many subsequent games including the Pat Cotter memorial tournament and the Paddy Murphy memorial Cup allowed for the opportunity to further improve the youth players coming into the squad as well welcoming Jamie Enright and Evan Patterson into the squad.

The game kicked off at 6.30pm in prime conditions for a football game. The sun was shining, and pitch was in immaculate condition thanks to the continued hard work from the pitch maintenance team. This in conjunction with the new perimeter fencing adding to pitch condition as well as creating a perfect place for spectators to watch the game; the stage was set.

Mungret took control from the kick off with Pa Ahern and Evan Patterson leading the line for Mungret. Mungret’s first shot in anger game on the 2min mark when Cian McNicholas picked up the ball from Evan at the edge of the area and struck a powerful shot at goal where the Charleville keeper did well to parry out for a corner kick.

It wasn’t until halfway through the first half that we saw Charleville break the Mungret line for their first chance of the game. A loose ball across the middle saw a quick break through the Mungret defence when Charleville struck low from the edge of the area but keeper James Roche stood up to it and was equal to the challenge

The first goal of the game came on the half hour mark in somewhat fortuitous fashion. Referee Mike Kennedy dropped the ball to the keeper after assistance was given to the Charleville centerhalf. The keeper then sliced a kick which dropped to Pa Ahern who connected beautifully to volley the ball past the keeper into the empty net.

Mungret’s second goal came before half time with Mungret pushing the tempo of the game. A well worked ball down the right saw Evan Patterson pick it up and send in an inch-perfect cross to combine with his new strike partner, who sent a powerful header off the crossbar and across the goal line for his second goal of the season.

The second half saw a much more measured approach from Mungret. They continued to probe for opportunities while keeping stable at the back. As the game wore on Charleville began to struggle with Mungret’s passing game where they were offering less and less threat to Mungret’s defence. Mid-way through the second half, Mungret started bringing in fresh legs which saw David Conway, Craig Prendergast, Hamza Celik, Eoghan Kelly and Ben Flanagan get their first taste of action for the season ahead.

Mungret’s third goal game with about 20mins remaining on the clock when Cian McNicholas won the ball high up the field and sent Gary Kelly through on the left who finished calmly into the right-hand corner.

Next Game

Mungret’s next game is on Sunday morning, 20th Aug at 10.30am against Regional Utd Away.

188 views0 comments


bottom of page